Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ahhh! Sudden Performance Anxiety Increase

Tonight was my second performance with the Concordia Pops. Having practiced this week I felt much more prepared. Once I got there though, I found out the other first clarinet wasn't going to be able to play leaving myself playing the first part, and the other gentleman playing the second. Suddenly the pressure has just seriously increased! There's parts where I know the clarinet is sort of hanging out there, so I was a bit worried.

"Sine Nomine" by Vaughan Williams went well. Although about half way through the first moment of Handel's "Water Music Suite 1", during a woodwind solo I started thinking hey, this is going well and promptly got lost. :( Not having a lot of experience (it's been about 4 weeks since I started) hearing all the parts together I had trouble re-orientating myself to get back in. But I did, and the rest of the movements went a bit better.

Smetana's "Polka from The Bartered Bride" I still need to work on. I don't know how anyone could really dance to that. Is there a video of the opera anywhere that would show the action during the music? I wonder if they actually dance to it. It's not really your traditional "om pa pa" polka beat. On the other hand, I quite enjoyed "The Moldau". Probably my favourite of the pieces.

"Stardust" by Hoagy Carmichael sounded ok until a violin entrance 3/4 of the way through. A bit of a grind your teeth moment, not terribly in tune. I did learn that Carmichael's first name was Hoagland, and he was named after a circus troupe who was staying at his house. I suppose it could have been worse, and it's certainly helped make him distinctive in the music world.

This week it's all about learning Christmas music in preparation for the next 2 rehearsals before 2 more concerts. Yay Christmas music! (alas, no Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride)

No comments:

Post a Comment